Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Weekend

I had a good Saturday, although it flew by. I wasted a lot of time trying to get a new drivers license with the motorcycle endorsement. I drove 30 minutes to the DMV, I got there then stood in line outside for an hour. In that hour I only got half way up to the entrance where you go in and get a number then wait and wait and wait. It was one of only a few offices open today. I waited exactly one hour then left. I'll drive in to work one day next week and go to the DMV office downtown.

I wanted to have my license in case I saw a motorcycle I wanted to test drive this weekend. Ryan called and told me that he was taking Bella to the movies and invited me to come along. I met up with them and we saw Madagascar. After the movie and video games they asked me if I wanted to come over to the house. I did but we stopped by a motorcycle shop on the way. I wanted to look at a specific bike, the Yamaha V Star 250. I wanted to check it out and see how it looked and felt compared to the larger bikes there. The guy told me exactly what my instructor from the riders course said, and what another guy in the class told me last weekend. That a 250cc is great for beginners but after 3 - 6 months I'll be bored and want something with more engine power. Something that will get me up and down the freeway and out on the highways without being ridden at full throttle for most of the trip. I was thinking that I just wanted something nice that would be fun and easy to cruise around the streets of Anthem on. I'm going to want to venture out further as I get more comfortable riding. Maybe I should get a bigger bike, not the biggest, but something like the 650cc V Star Classic I saw today. Another factor to consider of course is the price. I have enough cash set aside to get the 250 bike and decided that I was comfortable with spending that much. The bigger bikes have bigger price tags. I think I should start looking at used 500 - 650cc bikes and see if there's anything I like within the current budget. Or wait a month while I add more numbers to the budget and buy new like I want. Decisions, decisions.

2008 Yamaha V Star Classic 649cc

After motorcycle shopping I went over to Ryan's house to see Sochilt and Christina, and to spend some more time with Bella. Christina made a nice dinner and a great cake that we had for dessert. It was nice of them to invite me to stay and eat.

No comments: